[KIM slams the door. She is wearing a hat, t-shirt and shorts. She has one shoe. FIONA’s eyes are wide. They stare into the silence together, until it breaks underneath them.]
– Is it true then?
– What they said about the aliens?
– I didn’t see any.
– What’s that then?
– It’s the light from the house. When I ran past, it automatically came on.
– Are they in there?
– I don’t know. You got a cigarette?
[Nothing. KIM finds her own cigarette and lights it.]
– When’d you start smoking again?
– Doesn’t matter.
– You don’t need to be defensive.
– Don’t tell me to calm down.
– Shit, you serious?
– We should check in an hour
– I’m not going out there. Not again. It’s your turn.
– Someone will come find us
– You got your phone on you?
– Battery’s gone
– Of course it has.
– What happened to yours?
– I don’t know. Got lost in the rush
– You never were very good with technology
– I got allergies
– You just don’t like people. Surely it would be a good buffer
[KIM stubs her cigarette, squashes it into the floor.]
– It’s gonna be a long time in here
– No shit
– So I just got to ask.
– It’s not the right time.
– It’s the alien apocalypse! Fucking second coming!
– I just got to know
– What? WHAT?
– Are we friends or are we lovers?
– Give me a cigarette.